Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Exodus: Proxima Centauri

The voting time is over for now and I want to thank you all for expressing your opinions. The space empire building game has now an official name and that is ... (drum-rolls) 

With more than 100 votes cast here, on Facebook and on BoardGameGeek forums and with input from our play-testers, the choice was obvious and also the favorite of the designers.

The story of Exodus: Proxima Centauri started in August 2011. While Warriors & Traders was printed in Germany, I was thinking of a new empire building game, similar in some ways yet very different. My thoughts were going towards a full civilization game with a powerful story line. I was looking through the science fiction literature and I could not find anything affordable that would fit my ideas for game design. I must confess that I did not have to look too long, because my co-designer Agnieszka is ... Polish. You may wonder what does that have to do with the game. There's a Polish writer called StanisÅ‚aw Lem, a visionaire who wrote in 1955 the novel The Magellanic Cloud, about a human crew travelling to Alpha Centauri. The moment she told me about this novel, I knew we'd found the golden goose and that I should look no further, I had the theme for the game.

This being decided, I started to work on in parallel on the game design and the story. Since I could not find an English translation of the novel, I listened to the abbreviated version carefully (Agnieszka had to have a lot of patience) and used it just as a source of inspiration. 

The first outcome of my work was the backbone of the story and the game structure. I would scan and post the first hand written draft of the saga of humanity, but I am afraid people would judge to harshly my hand writing :)
But I can tell you how the original structure of Exodus: Proxima Centauri looked like and what were my thoughts at that time.

Phase 1 - resource management with progressive tax, new players have time to catch up
Phase 2 - political - 4 laws to be passed by voting, one on Exploration matter, one on Technology, one on Political matters and one Election phase. The first player (Chancellor) would play a crucial role, breaking all the ties and all political decision would speed up the game, providing some kind of advantage to at least one player
Phase 3 - research - players could take advantage of the Tech laws approved during the previous step
Phase 4 - building - everyone could build ships and upgrade their weapons and shields.
Phase 5 - move and explore - explorations would be limited or enhanced by Exploration laws. All movement would be simultaneous, no turn order needed

The very few who have already played Exodus: Proxima Centauri will laugh seeing this 'ancient' structure, but this is where I started from and the core ideas can be found in the alpha version.

And to end everything on a bright modern note, here are some pictures from the latest play test in the Red Goblin gaming club in Romania.

Happy playing - the Council phase
The map after the battle - turn 4
1 space battle - 20++ dice!
__________________

More about NSKN Legendary Games on the website Facebook | Twitter | BoardGameGeek
Warriors & Traders can also be found on its own website | Blog | Facebook |  BoardGameGeek
Follow us on Twitter: AgniAlexandraAndrei and Vlad 


1 comment:

  1. ROBLOX is driven by a growing membership base of more than 300,000 creators who produce an infinite variety of highly immersive experiences.

    These experiences range from 3D games and contests, to interactive adventures where players can take on new personas to imagine what it feels to be a dinosaur, a miner working a mine or an astronaut out in space.

    ReplyDelete