Saturday, April 7, 2012

Game production and a few big questions

I am in Poland now, together with Agnieszka, preparing the meeting with two of the big manufacturing companies for the hobby industry. While most people celebrate the Catholic Easter, we have a few busy days ahead of us, finalizing the specs for 3 games that we'd like to bring to your attention in 2012 and 2013 (you've heard already about Exodus: Proxima Centauri and Wild Wild West, we'll talk about the third one later this year).

Exodus: Proxima Centauri - ships and tokens

Working on the specifications we came across some big questions that we have to answer before we even get close to producing any of our games. 

1) Ergonomic or beautiful?

There are three types of game
- beautiful but not-so-functional
- functional, ergonomic, practical but without one of a kind graphics
- functional, beautiful and very expensive

I just won't compromise on the quality of the design and the graphics, I need to know that I am not cheating on the gamers offering a sub-standard product just to keep it cheap, so I will have to go with "rather expensive". However, rather expensive games are hard to place on the market.

The way I look at this, I have to work out either a miracle or a very good deal. Suggestions are welcome!
Exodus: Proxima Centauri prototype

2) Wood or plastic

Most games have either wooden or plastic tokens/units/etc, very few of them have both. Without openly disclosing what I am about to negotiate, I am asking myself and the whole gaming world what would be better, a lot of wooden tokens which will ensure a high ergonomics to the game and a multitude of options for the players or fewer but really beautiful plastic tokens? (e.g. the ships I used in the prototype of Exodus, see picture above)

If you have an opinion and you want to express it, please take a look at our poll. Every vote counts! :-)

__________________

More about NSKN Legendary Games on the website Facebook | Twitter | BoardGameGeek
Warriors & Traders can also be found on its own website | Blog | Facebook |  BoardGameGeek
Follow us on Twitter: AgniAlexandraAndrei and Vlad 

No comments:

Post a Comment